Top 22 Maya Angelou Quotes for Feeling EmpoweredHustle Hall of Fame
In light of the ups and downs this year has presented, I thought I’d share a tactic I employ when I’m feeling like my personal resilience and self-worth is sitting at a level that’s lower than it should be.
I get on the Google, and search for quotes said by my idols.
Some people argue that reading quotes can create the illusion that a challenge is already complete, and can therefore make one complacent. But for me, when I read a quote that resonates, not only do I feel fired up and ready to go, I also feel understood and in that moment, not alone – feelings which are extremely important in order to move forward in the hustle.
So with that in mind, I’ma keep today’s post really straightforward and share with you my top 22 Maya Angelou quotes.
Now, if you can, really take the time to read these, to reflect on them, to take in every word and to hear the melody and truth they perpetuate.
She lives on through the feelings of purpose, empowerment and love she so selflessly bestowed.
Ya ready for this?
- “Each of us, famous or infamous, is a role model for somebody, and if we aren’t, we should behave as though we are—cheerful, kind, loving, courteous. Because you can be sure someone is watching and taking deliberate and diligent notes.”
- “You can only become truly accomplished at something you love. Don’t make money your goal. Instead pursue the things you love doing and then do them so well that people can’t take their eyes off of you.”
- “I’ve learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.”
- “I can be changed by what happens to me. But I refuse to be reduced by it.
- “I love to see a young girl go out and grab the world by the lapels. Life’s a bitch. You’ve got to go out and kick ass.”
- “Success is liking yourself, liking what you do, and liking how you do it.”
- “You may encounter many defeats, but you must not be defeated. In fact, it may be necessary to encounter the defeats, so you can know who you are, what you can rise from, how you can still come out of it.”
- “You alone are enough. You have nothing to prove to anybody.”
- “Hoping for the best, prepared for the worst, and unsurprised by anything in between.”
- “I’ve learned that making a ‘living’ is not the same thing as ‘making a life’.”
- “I believe that the most important single thing, beyond discipline and creativity is daring to dare.”
- I am a Woman
- “Nothing will work unless you do.”
- “Every person needs to take one day away. A day in which one consciously separates the past from the future. Jobs, family, employers, and friends can exist one day without any one of us, and if our egos permit us to confess, they could exist eternally in our absence. Each person deserves a day away in which no problems are confronted, no solutions searched for. Each of us needs to withdraw from the cares which will not withdraw from us.”
- “A woman who is convinced that she deserves to accept only the best challenges herself to give the best. Then she is living phenomenally.”
- “Success is loving life and daring to live it.”
- “I’ve learned that I still have a lot to learn.”
- “If you are always trying to be normal, you will never know how amazing you can be.”
- “Love life. Engage in it. Give it all you’ve got. Love it with a passion because life truly does give back, many times over, what you put into it.”
- “Each of us has the right and the responsibility to assess the roads which lie ahead, and those over which we have traveled, and if the future road looms ominous or unpromising, and the roads back uninviting, then we need to gather our resolve and, carrying only the necessary baggage, step off that road into another direction. If the new choice is also unpalatable, without embarrassment, we must be ready to change that as well.”
- “You may not control all the events that happen to you, but you can decide not to be reduced by them. Try to be a rainbow in someone’s cloud. Do not complain. Make every effort to change things you do not like. If you cannot make a change, change the way you have been thinking. You might find a new solution.”
- “While one may encounter many defeats, one must not be defeated.”
What’s your favourite Maya Angelou quote? Is it one on this list, or one that isn’t featured? Would love for you to share in the comments below!!