13 Brené Brown Quotes to Fuel the Soul
If you’ve never heard of Brené Brown, grab a cotton bud, clear those ears and listen up – ’cause she’s someone that could very possibly change your life.
Brené Brown is a research professor at the University of Houston Graduate College of Social Work.
She is also a scholar, author, CEO and public speaker.
For the past 15 years, Brené has dedicated her study to the topics of courage, shame, vulnerability and authenticity. She has written three #1 New York Times best sellers – The Gifts of Imperfection, Daring Greatly, and Rising Strongly. She is the CEO and founder of The Daring Way and COURAGEworks – online communities dedicated to helping people realize and reach their potential through living, loving and learning.
You may know her best from her 2010 TedX talk entitled ‘The Power of Vulnerability’ – a talk that with over 25 million views, makes it one of the top viewed TedX talks of all time. In this talk, she discusses her learnings as well as her own struggles with vulnerability, and demonstrates why vulnerability should never be associated with weakness.
This week, I thought I’d draw on her wisdom to get us inspired. These are quotes from her various books and talks, and hopefully they’ll leave you feeling excited to not just get on top – but to feel flippin’ stoked with yourself, warts and all.
- “You are imperfect, you are wired for struggle, but you are worthy of love and belonging”
- “Vulnerability is the birthplace of innovation, creativity and change.”
- “Vulnerability sounds like truth and feels like courage. Truth and courage aren’t always comfortable, but they’re never weakness.”
- “Healthy striving is self-focused: “How can I improve?” Perfectionism is other-focused: “What will they think?”
- “Staying vulnerable is a risk we have to take if we want to experience connection.”
- “The willingness to show up changes us, It makes us a little braver each time.”
- “Vulnerability is our most accurate measurement of courage.”
- “Here’s what is truly at the heart of wholeheartedness: Worthy now, not if, not when, we’re worthy of love and belonging now. Right this minute. As is.”
- “Nothing has transformed my life more than realizing that it’s a waste of time to evaluate my worthiness by weighing the reaction of the people in the stands.”
- “…sometimes when we are beating ourselves up, we need to stop and say to that harassing voice inside, “Man, I’m doing the very best I can right now.”
- “People who wade into discomfort and vulnerability and tell the truth about their stories are the real badasses.”
- “Only when we’re brave enough to explore the darkness will we discover the infinite power of our light.”
- “There’s nothing more daring than showing up, putting ourselves out there and letting ourselves be seen.”
Feeling ready for Monday? Actually, forget that.. Feeling ready for life?